Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bailey (Adopted!)

* * * UPDATE * * *

April 2013
GREAT NEWS!!! Bailey has been adopted by Thanvarat, sister of Magic 10 Club's Patarin, in Bangkok, Thailand!
 Bailey's best friend in Pat's home was fellow Magic 10 Club member, puppy Ten Ten, so they will remain close "cousins" now - lovely for both doggies. Bailey has been home for one week already, and is doing great with his new family, including with his doggie brother. Thanvarat reports that Bailey likes nothing better than to lay on the floor of the kitchen, dreaming of his next yummy meal, as he enjoys his air-conditioned home and favorite Thai pop star's music! 
Ha ha - clever, funny boy. He knows that he is a very lucky doggie, indeed! 



Thank you to all who made this possible, from Patarin and the Magic 10 Club for pulling, transporting, vetting, and fostering Bailey; to Thanvarat for opening her heart and home to this wonderful little boy; to kind-hearted international supporters who generously donated to help cover his costs. 
There could be no happier ending to this fairy tale!

....................

My name is Bailey.

My mommy raised me up right, to be polite and quiet, and to always mind my manners.
I was so polite, in fact, that I was easily captured to be someone's dinner, which is how I ended up as part of a government seizure (lucky me) and was brought here to the government livestock shelter (not so lucky me).


I was so quiet and polite, in fact, that it would have been easy for me to be passed over on the day an angel named Patarin arrived at Khemmarat Shelter to choose a handful of lucky doggies to be re-homed.
I stared at her with my handsome hopeful eyes, gave her my most appealing glances, and wagged my tail in a pleading way. 
Oh, how I hoped I would be picked!


And I was! I was! 
I was!
 I am one of the happiest and luckiest dogs on this planet (Izumi says, also one of the most handsome! * blush *) because I am now in Bangkok - where I was brushed and bathed, saw a doggie doctor, and have gone into foster care with loving, kind-hearted Pat.
I'm still awaiting a happy forever home of my very own.
Do you think you might be the one waiting at the end of this very long road I have traveled?



I am a victim of the dog meat trade.

I grew up on the streets of Thailand, in a "survival of the fittest" climate, where I had to fend for food and avoid many dangers. 

One day, some men approached me and tossed a wire lasso over my head. They threw me in a small cage with many other dogs. It was cramped and I thought I would suffocate, as it was so overcrowded. The truck sat in the jungle for a couple of days before they made a run for the Vietnam border. During this time, I was not given food or water, and suffered in my cramped quarters. Again, I feared for my life - many dogs around me perished. 
Then - to my surprise - I was rescued by some caring individuals and government officials. I was taken from my cage and herded into a large dog kennel at the government-run Khemmarat livestock shelter. 

Although my life was marginally-better once I was freed from that wire cage, we suffered from widespread disease and massive overcrowding. Food was scarce, we were practically one on top of the other, dog fights were frequent, and there was no medical attention available. Once again, I was surrounded by terrible suffering and watched as my fellow dogs died around me at a rapid rate. 

Luck once more intervened, and kind Patarin removed me from the shelter and brought me to Bangkok, where I was given proper food, a grooming, and saw a veterinarian for medical care. For the first time, I saw there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. 

In my foster home in Bangkok with Pat, I was shown kindness and affection. It has been a glimpse into a life I never knew existed: one with a home and family to call my own, where I will never know fear again. 
It's a life I so desperately want now…but one which will be brand-new to me and often confusing.

 I have so much to learn about life as a pet dog. I know I can do it - I've made it this far already! - but please, won't you gently show me the ropes, and have patience with me when I make missteps sometimes, as I surely will? In return, I will repay you a thousandfold. 


I just need a fair chance at a life I could only dream of when I was that frightened dog, crammed into a crate, baking alive in the tropical heat, who had given up all hope.

3 comments:

  1. Izum, I'm coming onboard the magic 10 with you for Bailey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!!!! Thanks, Diane!! I will update the blog as quickly as I can! Thanks so much for your kindness - every time I look at Bailey's photo of him in his UK leash, I just melt all over again!

    ReplyDelete