Monday, May 13, 2013

Mona (Adopted!)

* * * UPDATE * * *

May 2013
Mona was adopted by a loving family in Chicago, USA! She said goodbye to her foster mom, Patarin, and journeyed here this week, alongside her good buddy, Peanut. They arrived on Friday, May 10.




Mona was welcomed with open arms into the United States by Dawn, Chuck, Ayize, and myself at O'Hare Airport.



She was a courageous girl who stepped right out of her crate, ready to meet the world, with her wagging tail and big fox-like smile - a real lover and cuddler. She stole our hearts within minutes of meeting her.
After a quick checkup by the vet, she and Peanut stayed one night with Dawn before setting off on a grand adventure to be united with their forever families.



Dawn, Chuck, Ayize and I drove both doggies first to Aurora, Illinois, where we met Peanut's new mom, Caitlin. He immediately warmed to his mom's kind, patient ways - so touching to watch!



Chuck and Dawn dropped us off on the return journey and then headed off to deliver Mona to her new mom and dad, Kelly and Nate, in Chicago. Mona and her new parents and doggie sister got along like a house on fire from the moment she arrived. The two sisters are even sleeping side-by-side on the sofa as of yesterday - we could not be more thrilled to hear this happy news!



 

Mona clearly made herself right at home instantly, as photos attest - she quickly staked out the best sleeping spots and claimed them for herself!


We are so happy to hear about all of her adventures! Despite all she has endured, Mona is truly a sweet, affectionate and very playful little girl underneath it all.

Thank you to all who made this possible, from Patarin and the Magic 10 Club for pulling, transporting, vetting, and fostering Mona; to Mona's new parents, who ran an amazing fundraiser for her, and to all the kind-hearted international sponsors who also generously donated to help cover her costs; to Mona's adoring new family who welcomed her with open arms.

An extensive update on Mona can be found here
Sadly, she was diagnosed with a type of venereal tumor - but her amazing parents never wavered from their commitment to her, and she is completely cured now. She continues to thrive with her family and doggie sister, and we are so grateful and relieved for this plucky survivor.
Amazing Mona - we adore you!


* * * * *

My name is Mona. 



Just look at me now! 
I'm in foster care with Patarin, at her home in Bangkok. I pinch myself every morning when I wake up here, because my life has taken a 180-degree shift in the past few weeks and it all seems too good to be true.
And as if all I have now isn't enough, Pat has been telling me that a family in Chicago has chosen me - yes, ME! - to be their very own doggie daughter. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what a family of my own would even mean exactly...but I'm eager to find out!



But let me back up a bit, because I didn't always look this happy. In fact, this might be the first time in my life that I've ever actually been happy.
So let me begin at the beginning.

Once, when I was very small, I became one of the hundreds of thousands of street dogs of Thailand who are collected and crammed into cages set on end - the better to shove in the maximum number of dogs per minimum number of cages.
I don't even remember how I ended up with a cruel pair of metal pincers around my throat, which were used to push me down into a rusty wire crate not even large enough to hold me comfortably - let alone so many other poor souls. 


Was I a wandering stray, a young dog who was still innocent enough to be tempted towards an unfriendly-looking man because I was so hungry for whatever food he used as bait? Was my human family impoverished, and did they trade in my undying loyalty for some desperately-needed commodity, such as a plastic wash basin? (This is actually a very common method by which dogs like me are procured.) 



Was I fast asleep, curled into a ball, alone on a quiet street corner, when the men came upon me and took me where I lay?
I have wondered about why I was snatched, on that fateful night...and I have wondered about why fate intervened and the Royal Thai Police saved me by capturing the smugglers, a few days later. 
As the tarps that nearly smothered us were pulled aside, and I breathed fresh air at long last, I knew I was one of the luckiest dogs to ever suffer a brush with the horrific meat trade of neighboring nations, who prey upon Thailand's dog overpopulation problem.
What I didn't know was, What next?
I had my answer when our crates were unloaded at a government livestock center called Khemmarat, where we were finally freed from the horrid confines we had been in for days.



We were all so weak - so starved - so dehydrated. But despite this, we were herded into enclosures that suffered from massive overcrowding. To make matters worse, the shelter has severe food shortages, little shelter from the elements, and almost no veterinary care for all of us. Thai animal welfare organizations tried their best to run mobile spay/neuter clinics when they could, but the tide of incoming dogs rose weekly, and under these unfavorable conditions, suffering grew exponentially.
 I, in particular, was the target of much persecution at the hands of larger, more dominant dogs, and I longed for a break from my frequent torment, but there was nowhere I could hide in a small space that was absolutely packed with dogs. 
A year passed, and dogs came and dogs went...but no one ever came for me. 
I learned to survive in these conditions, but never to thrive. There was no such thing as relaxation, not even for a moment, and I dreamed of the day I would leave - one way or the other. On my worst days, I wondered why I had survived in the first place, if only to suffer like this again.
Things got even more unbearable for me when I realized I was going to be a mama. This was no place to have my babies, or to try to raise them. 
I was nearly all out of hope. 



And then one day, a miracle occurred! 
Patarin and the Magic 10 Club saw my photo, heard my sad story, and secured sponsorship from international supporters to have me removed from the shelter and taken for veterinary and foster care in Bangkok. And just in the nick of time! My babies were imminently on their way, and I was in no condition to see them into this world safely. 
I endured a grueling transport to Bangkok, in labor, where my babies were immediately born, helped into this world by kind veterinary staff and a Caesarean section. I was saddened to discover that I could not even care for my own babies because I couldn't produce milk - I was so weak and exhausted by my past year of suffering, by a pregnancy under the worst of conditions, and by my emergency surgery. 
A few days later, I watched as my six sweet little babies left the clinic, destined for foster homes with loving, caring human mamas. I consoled myself with this thought, as I healed and enjoyed having a safe space in my clinic crate that was all my own for the first time in my memory. 



I knew that two of my babies were quite ill, and I later heard they did not survive beyond a couple of weeks. My heart was broken, but it was made whole again to learn that the rest of my precious babies survived, and are soon on their way to loving forever homes. 
I grieve for the lost pair, but am so grateful for the fortunate four. May their puppyhoods, and their future lives, be filled with as much joy as I have known in sadness! That is my only wish...



Soon, it was my turn to leave the clinic. I was frightened, and wondered where to next? Back to the mean streets, to run from smugglers day and night...or back to nightmarish Khemmarat, now that my babies had been successfully seen off into the big wide world? 
But no - much to my joyful amazement, I found myself at kind Patarin's house, where she took me under her wing for foster care. 
I have been thriving under her loving care and affection ever since. She has given me an abundance of TLC, and now I love cuddling and taking walks with her, and playing with the other small, friendly dogs at the house that I feel comfortable with. 
Kikku was my very good buddy - a fellow survivor. She left Patarin's house a few days ago, and hasn't come back...but everyone seems so happy and excited about this that I feel certain something really fantastic awaited her!



I've never known such affection and attention in all of my life. I didn't even know such a thing existed. And let me tell you, now that I know about it - I can truly say that it's INCREDIBLE!!
I have seen the very worst that life has to offer...and now I have seen the very best. I just cannot believe that it could get any better. But Patarin's personal doggies whisper in my ear, when the house is quiet, late at night, and tell me, "Just watch and see...when you have a family of your very own....."
So for the first time in my life, I'm experiencing this funny new feeling. 
I think it's called hope.


Despite what those horrible dog smugglers thought of me, I am more than the price of a plastic wash basin. I am more than some bits of beef on a paper plate, tortured for tenderness before slaughter. I am more than someone's passing, thoughtless meal.
I am Mona, a victim of the dog meat trade.


And I am worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment